a

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Week Two // WeRow

It’s week two of my adventure of not paying for a gym membership. I’m already feeling revitalized from a week of hot yoga and was ready to purchase a membership to Core Power Yoga, but this isn’t what this challenge is about.

This week I spotted a little place called WeRow that is place that only conducts high intensity row machine classes.

File_000.jpeg

The row machine is probably one of the most underrated machines at your gym. It’s easy on the knees, builds strong arms, and great cardio. One of the main misconceptions about the rowing machine is that it isn’t a total body workout, but oh trust me, I was hurting. It’s strength and cardio all rolled into one. It’s one of those few workouts that will incorporate every muscle in your body and it’s a hell of a lot more exciting that a treadmill. It’s also been said that indoor rowing can replace  “spin” class.

When I first walked into WeRow I was greeted by a singular person excited to teach me the wonders of rowing. I was the first one in and didn’t know what to expect. She sat me down on a rower and taught me the proper form of rowing before class even began. It took a minute to get all the steps down correctly, but it felt empowering that I was able to keep up during my little crash course on form.

As I was chatting with the instructor, she mentioned that she started using the row machine when she injured herself running and hasn’t switched back to using a treadmill.

Others began to show up to the class. There was a range of ages from mid twenties to late forties. I noticed that everyone was wearing gloves and was a bit confused about it, but after my second class, it was clear that I should have hopped on the glove wagon.

IMG_0224.JPG

I had massive calluses form within two classes and it was almost too painful to go anymore, but I taped up my hands and sucked it up.

Overall the class was intense and worth it and probably worth the membership if you actually put the time in it. If you’re self motivated add the rowing machine at your local gym to your routine. Worried about form? Check out this link here.

If you’re looking to get advice from an expert, try checking out a rowing class. Check out the studio I went to here.

Fight through the calluses. They’ll only build character.

xx- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment