a

Friday, November 20, 2015

10 Minute Morning Project // Make Your Own Yarn Out of a Shirt


We always have that one shirt that reminds us of home, an old friend, or the shirt is just so soft that you can't let it go. There's always a sense of comfort with these sentimental items, but sometimes life happens and the dryer puts holes in the arm or a red wine stain won't come out. I'm guilty of holding onto these items and letting them sit in the back of my closet for years.

Instead of throwing out that shirt, turn it into a lovable scarf or a ball of yarn for your next project!
It's quick, easy, and all you need is your beloved shirt or sweatshirt and a pair of scissors!


I'm using an old Victoria's Secret sweatshirt from five years ago! I used to love this sweatshirt and I recently came across it in my closet. I forgot that parts of the shirt were damaged, but I loved the shirt so much that I wanted to reuse it for something.


1. First start with cutting off the hem (the bottom) of the shirt and from arm pit to arm pit. This will leave you with a tube of material. 
2. Begin to cut strips at your desired width starting from one closed end of the tube to the top. Leave about an inch of space at the other side of the tube. 


 Personally I like to tape the top of the material so I know where to stop cutting the fabric. I made .75" - 1" strips in the picture above.

3. Once you are done cutting your strips, remove the tape, and open up the tube so that the part that wasn't cut is facing up.


4. To cut the beginning of the yarn, simply just cut diagonally from the top of the shirt and to the first slit.
5. To continue the yarn, cut diagonally from one slit to the next. Repeat this step until all of the slits have been cut through the original untouched middle piece.
6. Stretch the fabric to thin it out and begin to ball it up!

Now your successfully saved your favorite shirt and can turn it into something that you'll love over and over again.

I plan on making my old VS sweatshirt into a scarf to get me through this Minnesota Winter.

What are you going to do with your upcycled yarn? Let me know if you decide to do this project!

Happy Friday Y'all!
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment