a

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Importance of Being Still

This past weekend I took a step out of my comfort zone. I never have been an outdoorsy person that would crave walking around with the trees, bugs, and mud. I wouldn’t even know where to start when it comes to gathering the right equipment and gear that would be necessary for a camping trip or even just staying up in a cabin.


This weekend was a bit different though. I consciously made the decision that I would spend a weekend up North with six other people.


DSC_0102.jpg


I wasn’t quite sure what I would be getting myself into, considering I knew it was going to be cold and it seemed as though most of our time would be spent in the toasty cabin.


I couldn’t be more wrong.


DSC_0109.jpg


It was about a five hour drive from Minneapolis to get to Bear Head State Park. It was the perfect time to finish any projects and watch the service on my phone dwindle.


It’s always hard to think about unplugging when you feel that staying connected and current is the only way to go. Feeling like you’re forced to disconnect can be terrifying.


I know all my thoughts kept rushing back to, “what if someone at work needs something from me?” or the classic, “what happens if someone gets hurt and I can’t be there?” It’s really difficult for these ideas to escape my head.


I’m a major culprit when it comes to bringing work home with me and all these scary excuses for me not to disappear for a weekend kept running into my head. It wasn’t until we the day we went on a hike in the state park when I started to realize the importance of being still.


Lately media and fake news are thrown in our faces. It becomes difficult to even realize what’s real and what’s not. Who can we believe anymore if our own opinions seem to not matter anymore?


Being still gives an opportunity to redirect your own truth and reflect on your own thoughts.
DSC_0115.jpg


Being in this environment was a new experience. I have never strapped on snowshoes before and I have never spent time on a four hour hike. I found myself getting frustrated about the amount I was falling over. I wasn’t sure if it was my coordination or possibly the hangover that was setting in throughout the afternoon. Luckily there was always someone there to help me back up and ensure that I wasn’t going to die.


DSC_0666.jpg


So next time you get the chance, be still.


Get outside and listen.


I promise you, you’re not going to die and I hope you have someone that will be able to help you back up.

DSC_0667.jpg


xx- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment